This low carb, high protein dinner recipe was submitted by a Target100 weight loss program member Tre as one of her family's go-to's. The recipe would be a prefect weeknight or weekend meal. If meal prepping works for you, the beef in this recipe can easily be prepped and set to cooking in the crockpot in the morning time. Then you can toss together the slaw in the evening.
This meal is amazingly filling on it's own (never underestimate how lots of veggies, especially cabbage, can help with satiety). The flavorful beef is full of protein and low in carbs. If you want to have something with the beef and slaw you can add some cooked rice or a low carb tortilla to turn it into a taco. Have some fun with this recipe. It works so well to share with others and makes for great leftovers!
Shredded Cuban Beef recipe
1 large green bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 medium sized yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 1/2 -3 lbs bottom round roast
8 oz can of tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
- Spray the inside of your crockpot with a non-stick spray. Put pepper, onion and garlic in the crockpot. Place the roast on top of the veggies.
- In a small bow, combine the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour over the roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 7-8 hours or until the meat pulls apart easily with two forks.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board or rimmed roasting pan (to preserve the juices) and shred it with two forks. Add the shredded meat back to the crockpot to allow the beef to soak in the juices for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve over beans and rice and/or the crunchy lime slaw (recipe below).
Crunchy Lime Slaw recipe
14 oz cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
1/2 cup parsley or cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place cabbage, onion, and cilantro or parsley in a large bowl.
- In a separate container, combine olive oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste - whisk or shake (with a lid on) until well combined.