I love making veggies on the grill in the summer and veggie skewers are some of my favorite ways to prepare them! If you don’t have a grill, feel free to toss these in the oven.
This hearty recipe features turkey meatballs and grilled vegetable kebobs. Double up the recipes for easy lunch leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
Healthy Recipe: Turkey Meatballs and Vegetable Skewers
Ingredients for meatballs
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried sage
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
2 small eggs
2 tsp sesame oil + more to brush on top
Salt + pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Form turkey mixture into meatballs and place on a lined baking sheet.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
Ingredients for the vegetable kabobs and marinade:
● 6 to 8 wooden or bamboo skewers
● 2 cups cremini mushrooms
● 1 cup cherry tomatoes
● 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
● 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
● 1 red onion, cut into chunks
● 1 zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
● 1/4 cup olive oil
● 1 tsp garlic powder
● 3 to 4 Tbsp lemon juice
● 1/2 tsp dried oregano
● 1/2 tsp dried basil
● Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak skewers in water for 10 to 15 minutes beforehand.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (or medium heat if you’re using a grill.)
- Cut vegetables per above ingredient list and thread them onto skewers, alternating them.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, oregano and basil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place prepared skewers onto a baking sheet with foil and brush with olive oil mixture. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Place into the oven (or on the grill) and roast until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Nutrition info per serving (1/4 of recipe):
0 g carbs for meatballs
9 g carbs for vegetable kabobs with marinade
Recipe courtesy of Vanessa Voltolina, RDN.